Thursday, June 30, 2011

You Gotta Have Fun

Sometimes there’s just no substitute for a good time.  No matter how focused, determined, motivated, or dedicated you are, you have to put it aside and just do it.  Fun means different things to different people, obviously, but there’s a difference between ‘FUN’ activities and ‘Relaxing’ activities.  Sitting at the park or on the beach is relaxing but how fun is that compared to riding on a wicked cool roller coaster, or going down a water slide, or even riding your bike?  Okay, I’ll admit that ‘what is fun’ can be very subjective.  I’m sure some people would even argue doing algebra equations is ‘fun’ but I think the majority of us would disagree with that little bit of logic.  I think fun should be a heart racing, laugher inducing, or wide-eyed wondering activity.

For some people, fun is a bit of an elusive creature.  Social awkwardness and timidness can get in the way.  Fear of embarrassment also makes it hard.  One major thing I’ve noticed is the fall back excuse of “I didn’t have anyone to go with”.  That’s the worst isn’t it?  Ever go to the movies by yourself?  I have and you know what, it’s great.  Movies are meant to be watched, so if you had someone with you there, you ‘d basically have to ignore them the whole time.  That’s why a movie is a terrible ‘date’ idea.  Anyway, doing things alone can be daunting, scary even.  Sometimes it might seem damn near impossible.  If you have trouble trying things all by yourself, invite someone to come along, even if they probably won’t be interested.  At least you tried.

Sometimes inviting someone to go have ‘fun’ can lead to interesting conversations and suggestions.  For a long time I always wanted to go surfing but never actually went because I’d have to go by myself.  One day I was talking about it with a friend and he invited me to go with him.  I had a blast.  Now, surfing is hard, and I still suck, but I went and had fun.  Now I can go by myself and still enjoy it!  Right now I’m thinking of learning how to fly a plane.  I think it will be hard, but really Fun.  But I won’t know until I try. 

2 comments:

  1. Riding a wave sure sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, If you've never gone out on the waves you Have to try it. Surfing is like no other sport. It's so cool, it will blow your mind it's so much fun.

    ReplyDelete

Cross Country Driving 2024