Thursday, June 16, 2011

Motivation and Desire

Have you ever noticed that sometimes, inspiration isn't enough?  Sometimes you can have that killer, awesome idea, but you just can't do anything with it.  How is that possible?  I think it has a lot to do with motivation and desire.  Having a great imagination and inspiration are key elements to the creative process, but they aren't the whole story.  Motivation and desire are the 'action' elements of creativity.  Those two things are the ones that get you off your butt and actually 'doing'.  I've had incredible ideas and then done Nothing with them. Why?  Because I wasn't motivated.  The idea was there, but nothing about my life and my situation powered the drive to actually go out and do something with it. 

To actually act upon your inspiration and creativity, you have to get to what H. Peyton Young called the 'tipping point.'  He was discussing communities and their moments of change, but the same can hold true for individuals.  You need a shock or disruption to really get you moving.  Now it's true that sometimes inspiration alone can be that shock, but many times it isn't.  I think that forces in your life, be they external, but more likely internal, are instrumental in implimenting change.  Acting upon the inspiration and creativity will change your life if you let it.  I know for myself, when I combine inspiration and creativity with motivation and drive, I get a sense of almost euphoric possibility.  That's an awesome feeling.  If you've experienced it, you know what I mean, if you haven't, challenge yourself and you might feel it too. 

Give it a shot, you've got nothing to lose...

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't Agree more with the above comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are times when I've felt like I needed to do something or I'd just explode. I've gotten to wrapped up in writing, or coming up with a design that it's almost all-consuming. That's the power of creativity and motivation!

    ReplyDelete

Cross Country Driving 2024