Wednesday, June 1, 2011

What’s Your Medium?

Sometimes self expression comes naturally.  Sometimes it has to be cultivated.  Knowing where and how to communicate your creative desire is not only helpful but necessary.  Imagine a singer trying to draw a picture, or a sculptor trying to write a novel.  Communicating your vision through the wrong medium can cloud your message and discourage you from continuing. 

Why is this important?  Experimentation is critical in finding your voice and medium.  I know this seems obvious, but sometimes trying something completely new and outside your comfort zone is exactly what you need to excel.  I’m primarily a writer, but I also draw and sketch.  Now I’m not the greatest artist in the world but doing my little doodles gives me another avenue for expression.  It also helps to get my imagination working in different levels.  I’ve also tried learning to play the Saxophone.  Okay my efforts haven’t born any fruits.  Trust me you don’t want to hear that cacophony. But the point of it all is doing it. 

My daughter is a picky eater.  It’s hard to get her to try anything new.  She also loves bacon (smart girl).  But there was a time when she wouldn’t even try that.  I always ask her “Remember when you wouldn’t try bacon? Imagine your world if you had no bacon.  Seems pretty grim to me”.  She begrudgingly tries the new food I give her and lo and behold, now she loves salami. 

What I’m getting at is the attempt, the force of ‘the new’.  I was writing a story and just kind of threw it in the narrative that my main character wanted to learn how to play the piano.  That little characterization turned into a major force in the story and made it all the more rich and interesting.  Sometimes taking a new direction can alter things considerably and in a good way.

Remember, pushing on your comfort zone is the only way to keep it from shrinking.  Trying new forms of art and expression will help focus your vision.  It will also help you find direction.  It worked for me.  You’ve got nothing to lose.  Give it a shot.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cross Country Driving 2024