Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Humor can alter any situation and help us cope at the very instant we are laughing.

-Allen Klein.

Can you laugh?

They say that laughter is the best medicine.  Obviously that isn't always the case, but having a good laugh, just at the right time can really ease the tension and release stress.  Have you ever had one of those laughs that was fueled not just by humor, but stress and nerves.  I have, and I've found myself laughing all the harder because it was a release.  The funny thing was (pun intended) as I was laughing I knew it was making me feel better.  Not just because of the funny thing that caused the laughter, but because I needed to let go of the tension and burden of holding on to things that kept me down.  There really isn't any reason to hold on to baggage and when you let it go, it feels amazing.

Humor makes it fun

There are times when serious attitudes and outlooks are wholly appropriate.  At the same time, there's no reason to be uptight and deliberately coarse or mirthless.  You don't have to use crude or offensive jokes to be humorous.  In fact, you just need to see things in a different light.  Sometimes the most innocuous comments can be funny if timed just right.  Humor among coworkers, friends, family, can help build a special bond, and laughing makes things more memorable. 

When people get together and talk about shared experiences, it's a lot more fun to say "remember that time..." and end the story with a great laugh that everyone can share.  And really that's the best thing, being able to share a good feeling with people you care about. 

So go ahead, have a good laugh!


baby in pool


4 comments:

  1. Have you ever laughed but only because it was more acceptable than crying?

    I agree that a completely genuine full body laugh is very healthy, and seriously, I don't mean laughter like, "So why did the chicken cross the road... To get to the other side haha," type of joke. I'm referring to OMFG I'm doubled over rolling on the floor while rocketing snot and drool across the room from each and every heaping breath as I then painfully exhale and feel my abdominal muscles cramp even further. In fact, I can even recall a select few moments of uncontrollable and completely authentic laughter that marked a relative turning point in my life.

    However, I have yet to master whatever must occur or take place in order to create such a moment of euphoric clarity which only laughter can provide. It's also an emotion that cannot be faked and is arguably a serious emotional drain when it is.

    So the question is, how do I make such authentic and genuine laughter a routine part of my day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that laughter and humor are unique elements to a type of learning that is new and unexpected, that's why it take a person off guard. I'd say if the want and need for authentic and genuine laughter are something you are looking for, then you have to open yourself up to new types of learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm certainly open to new ideas and ways in which to approach life , but good and worthwhile ideas are hard to come by.

    How can you intentionally incorporate an activity into your daily routine that by it's very nature must be spontaneous?

    ReplyDelete
  4. IDK, but spontaneous doesn't have to be completely unique. Just do cool stuff that seems fun, or might be fun. If it sucks don't do it again. If it's cool, keep doing it.

    ReplyDelete

Cross Country Driving 2024