Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Dreaming Should Lead To Doing

I sometimes let my imagination run wild.  To some that’s a good thing; to some that’s a bad thing.  There are times when letting your mind wander to far off places is perfectly fine, healthy even.  But there are also times when staying focused and getting the job done is just as important.  You’ve probably heard the old saying “you’ve got your head in the clouds” or “all work and no play makes you a dull person”, well if you’ve ever heard those being applied to yourself, you’ve probably taken the dreaming or doing way too far.
It’s all about balance (aren’t most things…?).  There are times when I know I should be Doing something, working hard at finishing a task or a goal I’ve set for myself.  An excellent point is my writing.  For years I’ve written short stories and dreamed of being a published author.  But I never submitted anything.  Dreaming far outweighed the Doing in that case.  So finally, I submitted several of my stories because it became important to have that balance between Dreaming and Doing.  I felt a sense of accomplishment I could never have gotten by just writing alone.  But see, that’s where the balance comes from.  Experiencing both is far more rewarding and enriching than either on its own.
I say, let your imagination run wild, but keep your nose to the grind stone.  They both have their merits, you just need to balance them out.   Case in point, in my effort to be artistic and creative, but also productive, I designed a shirt that I very much like.  Check it out on this link:
  (   Mystic Face  )
If you’re lacking inspiration, concentrate on being imaginative, when the spark hits you let it flow.  Just remember to make time to actually Do the work involved in making your dream a reality too.  Trust me, it will be worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I've noticed that sometimes, my responsibilities and chores get so pressing, they seem to 'take over' for my dreams and passions. Then I have to remind myself that isn't right. It's weird how the day to day drab of working and slogging through can disguise itself as important to a 'real' goal.

    ReplyDelete

Cross Country Driving 2024